Recent policy changes in a number of states legalizing cannabis for medical and/or recreational use suggest a shift in societal attitudes and perceptions around cannabis. University Health Services takes a harm reduction approach to all substance use, including cannabis.
See this Cannabis handout for more information.
Policy and Legality
In November 2016, California voters passed Proposition 64 legalizing recreational use among people over the age of 21. However, because federal law still prohibits the use, distribution and possession of cannabis, it remains prohibited on all university property and at all university events, except for approved academic research. See UC guidance on use and possession of cannabis on UC property for more information.
In addition, smoking cannabis or any product on university property, is prohibited by UC policy per University of California – Policy on Smoke and Tobacco Free Environment .
Cannabis use has both potential therapeutic benefits and real health risks.
- Therapeutic effects may be myriad and are experienced differently by different people. We encourage you to consult with a medical provider about your medical symptoms, and various ways to treat them.
- As with any medication or substance, individual experiences with side effects and outcomes of use will vary depending on a number of factors, including dosage, frequency of use, method of use, genetics, physical and mental health, and personal life history and context.
UHS Health Advisory: severe lung disease associated with “vaping”
If you are concerned about your use or someone else’s use:
- For UC Berkeley students: Social Services , (510) 642-6074
- Marijuana Anonymous/MA World Services , (800) 766-6779 or (510) 287-8873
For more information regarding legality, health effects and other issues related to marijuana:
- DEA declines to loosen restrictions on medical cannabis
- Cannabis and the Mission of Higher Education
- Reforming Marijuana Laws (Drug Policy Alliance)
- Marijuana Drug Facts (Above the Influence)
- Erowid is a member-supported organization providing access to non-judgmental information about psychoactive plants, chemicals, and related issues
- Getting It Right from the Start looks at medical cannabis policy from a public health and harm reduction perspective
Berkeley’s Best Dispensary
BPG has been In It For Good since 1999, Serving the Bay Area’s Best Cannabis to Adults 21+ and Patients 18+.
Curbside Pick Up + Store Open 9am-10pm, East Bay Marijuana Delivery 11am-7pm.
Shop Our Huge Selection of Cannabis Products for Sleep, Pain, Relaxation, Creativity, Wellness, and Fun:
Cannabis For Good
BPG Staff Favorites
We love our seniors. 10% off all full price items for members 65+.
$10 Referral Credit
Refer a friend to BPG. When your friend places their first order, you both receive $10 credit! Online only.
Veterans receive 10% off. Vets 65+ receive 15% off. Must present valid ID in-store.
Receive special offers, personalized discounts, cannabis education, community events, and more!
SIGN UP FOR Our newsletter
- Shop Now
- Contact Us
- About Us
- Express Orders
- Helping Hands
- Terms of Service
- Deals & Events
- Do Not Sell My Information
Introducing BPG Updates
Be the first to know when your favorite products go on sale. Plus, get $10 to spend at BPG on your birthday, valid for one year.
Getting it done right. BPG (Berkeley Patients Group) uses SafeUnsubscribe® which reliably removes your email address from our lists.
I certify that I am over 21 years of age and agree to view the content of this website.
Please click the AGREE button below to enter.
- DO NOT AGREE
© 2020 Berkeley Patients Group · Berkeley, California
California law considers some of this activity to be a “sale” of personal data. To learn more and make choices, click ‘Do Not Sell My Personal Information’
- Do Not Sell My Personal Information
- Accept Cookies
California law considers some of this activity to be a “sale” of personal data. To learn more and make choices, click ‘Do Not Sell My Personal Information’Berkeley Patients Group is a leading cannabis dispensary and delivery service in Berkeley, serving Bay Area adults and patients ]]>