Can You Get Medical Marijuana for Insomnia?
Medical Marijuana Doctor Issuing Recommendations for Patients Near Tampa, St. Petersburg and All of Florida
Posted: March 16, 2020
In the U.S., 50 to 70 million adults are affected by chronic or intermittent sleep disorders, according to the National Sleep Foundation. Sleep is important to many aspects of health, including immune function and cognition. Lack of sleep is not only bad for your body, it can strain relationships, impact work performance and cause dangerous daytime sleepiness. Medical cannabis may be the right way to get restful sleep.
Medical Marijuana May Restore Your Natural Sleep Cycle
The success of marijuana in restoring sleep will depend on your individual response to the drug and the root cause of insomnia. For example:
- Sleeplessness caused by the pain and other symptoms of an injury or chronic illness
- Depression and/or anxiety
- Stress and nervousness
- The full schedules and time demands of modern life
- Poor sleep hygiene (i.e. viewing electronic screens before bed, caffeine before bed, etc.)
Many strains of cannabis are good for alleviating pain, which may be the key to better sleep if pain from a disease is keeping you up at night. There are strains that are great at alleviating stress by calming the mind and body, and these may be a good choice if you have a hard time letting go of work and personal stress at night. THC is the cannabinoid most often associated with inducing sleepiness.
Insomnia Can be Detrimental to Your Well-Being
Insomnia is much more than a nightly nuisance. It often leads to:
- Increased risk for heart disease, stroke, hypertension, depression and diabetes
- Lower quality of life
- Trouble concentrating and staying focused during the day
- Irritability and moodiness
- Increased risk of falling asleep during the day, which can be deadly if you are driving when you nod off
We care about our patients’ success with the marijuana products we recommend. If you do not experience better sleep, our physicians may recommend changing the strain, product, THC content, dosing or other aspects of our marijuana recommendation.
The experienced marijuana physicians at AMRX can determine if there is a cannabis product that is a good match for your insomnia. We’ll guide you through the process and help you make adjustments as needed 727-209-5470.
Medical cannabis may be the right way for you to restore a restful night of sleep. THC-heavy strains are typically associated with inducing sleep. Schedule a consultation to find out if you're eligible.