Best CBD Oil for Hemorrhoids – November 2020
Can CBD Help With Hemorrhoids ?
- Hemorrhoids are inflamed blood vessels and tissue in the lower rectum and anus. Risk factors include constipation, diarrhea, and obesity (1) .
- A study from Plos One mentioned that a dysfunctional ECS might cause intestinal disorders, like irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, and obesity (2) .
- A 2016 study acknowledged that cannabinoids , such as cannabidiol ( CBD ), might help maintain regular bowel movements by modulating ECS receptors in the gastrointestinal tract (3) .
- A study published by Therapeutics andClinical Risk Management shared that CBD might reduce pain and inflammation by modulating the body’s immune response (4) .
- A review published in Elsevier mentioned that hemorrhoid pain might cause anxiety (5) . CBD has been demonstrated to have therapeutic benefits for anxiety (6) .
Spruce 750mg Lab Grade CBD Oil
Specifically formulated to be more palatable to CBD users
Overall Clinical Score
Each bottle of the 750mg CBD oil tincture contains 25mg of CBD per dropper full. The oil is peppermint flavor to mask any unpleasant tastes related to CBD.
-   Natural peppermint flavor
-   Made from 100% organic and natural ingredients
-   No other flavors
|Discount pricing available?||20% Off Coupon Code: CBDCLINICALS|
NuLeaf Naturals 900mg Full Spectrum Hemp CBD Oil
Perfect for anyone who are looking for CBD products that promote a healthy body and mind.
Overall Clinical Score
Natural remedy for various illnesses. NuLeaf Naturals’ CBD oil is a whole-plant extract containing a full spectrum of naturally occurring synergistic cannabinoids and terpenes.
-   Pure CBD hemp
-   All natural
-   Approximately 300 drops total
-   No other flavors
|Discount pricing available?||20% Off Coupon Code: CBDCLINICALS20|
Sabaidee Super Good Vibes CBD Oil
4x the strength of a regular cbd oil
Overall Clinical Score
Super Good Vibes CBD Oil provides the purest and highest quality Cannabidiol (CBD) on the market as well as other high quality phytocannabinoids, terpenes, vitamins, omega fatty acids, trace minerals, and other beneficial for your health elements, which all work together to provide benefits.
-   Extra strong
-   Significant benefits with just a few drops
-   100% Natural ingredients
-   No other flavors
|Discount pricing available?||15% Off Coupon Code: CBDCLINICALS15|
cbdMD CBD Oil Tincture Natural 1500mg
Uses USA hemp that is grown on non-GMO farms, and is both vegan and gluten-free
Overall Clinical Score
cbdMD’s CBD oil tinctures are made using only CBD sourced from medical hemp and MCT oil as a carrier oil. Tinctures are offered in orange, mint, natural, and berry flavors. Safe for daily use, the oil tinctures are packaged with a built-in rubber dropper to adjust CBD dosage easily. The packaging is made to be easy to transport and discreet to use.
-   Various delicious flavors to choose from
-   Has vegan, organic, and gluten-free ingredients
-   Free shipping for this particular product within USA
-   World-class customer service team
-   cbdMD uses MCT as its carrier oil so individuals who are allergic with coconuts should consider other brand options
|Discount pricing available?||15% Off Coupon Code: cbdMD15|
Can CBD Really Help With Hemorrhoids ?
Hemorrhoids are inflamed blood vessels in the lower rectum and anus. These blood vessels are similar to varicose veins in the legs.
The different types of hemorrhoids include internal, prolapse, and external hemorrhoids .
Hemorrhoids often cause severe pain, itching, bleeding, and inflammation in the anus. Thrombosed hemorrhoids occur when blood clots fill the internal or external hemorrhoids .
Hemorrhoids ’ risk factors include constipation, diarrhea, obesity, anal intercourse , and many more. Management of constipation and diarrhea may help prevent hemorrhoids (7) .
CBD for Inflammation and Pain
The common hemorrhoid treatments are painkillers , such as acetaminophen ( Tylenol ) or non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (Advil).
However, some individuals cannot tolerate the side effects caused by pain relievers . Thus, some people look for alternative options.
Some studies mention how CBD might reduce inflammation and pain.
A study shared by Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management mentioned that CBD has biological activities, such as analgesic, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory (8) .
Another review acknowledged that CBD has anti-inflammatory properties in different conditions, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) (9) .
IBS causes inflammation of the colon’s lining. The inflammation causes severe pain and discomfort.
IBS can also cause hemorrhoids due to repeated bowel movements and straining. Treating IBS can help prevent hemorrhoids (10) .
CBD for Healthy Bowel Movement
A healthy gastrointestinal (GI) motility is essential in maintaining bowel movements . A dysfunctional GI motility can lead to constipation and diarrhea.
The Frontiers in Neuroscience posted a study that mentioned how CBD was able to modulate GI motility in mice models (11) .
An animal study from the Gastrointestinal Motility Society acknowledged that cannabinoids , such as CBD , play an essential role in modulating intestinal secretion (12) .
Further clinical studies are needed to confirm CBD ’s efficacy in regulating human bowel motility.
CBD for Anxiety
A review published by Elsevier demonstrated how individuals with pain conditions might suffer from anxiety (13) .
The authors learned that pain conditions, including arthritis, stomach problems, migraine, and hemorrhoids , are associated with anxiety.
A recent clinical study demonstrated the anxiolytic properties of CBD .
The study conducted CBD treatments on patients with anxiety. The authors shared that anxiety scores were reduced in 79.2% of patients after CBD treatment (14) .
Although more controlled clinical studies are needed to verify its efficacy, the authors acknowledged that CBD might hold therapeutic benefits in treating anxiety.
How CBD Oil Works to Help With Hemorrhoids
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is composed of cannabinoid 1 (CB1) and cannabinoid 2 (CB2) receptors.
These receptors are located in the immune system, central nervous system, peripheral nerves, and organs. The ECS’s function is to modulate biological processes within the body (15) .
Modulating the ECS has therapeutic applications in many health conditions. CB1 can be found in pain circuits in the ECS (16) .
Tetrahydrocannabinol ( THC ) has an affinity for CB1 and CB2 (17) . CBD indirectly interacts with the receptors through modulation of the ECS (18) .
The ECS modulates a variety of gastrointestinal functions. A study mentioned evidence that a dysfunctional ECS might lead to intestinal disorders, like IBS, inflammatory bowel disease, and obesity (19) .
A study provided CBD treatment to patients with ulcerative colitis (UC).
The authors learned through UC biopsies that CBD reduced macrophages by modulating the immune response. This response led to a significant reduction of inflammatory protein expression (20) .
The Pros and Cons of CBD Oil for Hemorrhoids
- CBD has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that may alleviate pain and discomfort caused by hemorrhoids (21) .
- Healthy bowel movements can prevent hemorrhoids (22) . CBD may contribute to regular bowel movement by modulating gastrointestinal motility (23) .
- CBD may reduce anxiety caused by hemorrhoids pain (24) .
- CBD has been acknowledged to have a good safety profile for human consumption (25) .
- CBD may cause diarrhea and make hemorrhoids worse (26) .
- If used in high doses, CBD may cause side effects , such as drowsiness, loss of appetite, dry mouth (27) , and liver injury (28) .
How CBD Oil Compares to Alternative Treatments for Hemorrhoids
Coconut oil is believed to soothe and shrink hemorrhoids (29) . Individuals may apply the oil directly to the affected area or put a few cups in the bath.
A sitz bath with Epsom salt is believed to provide pain relief (30) . Individuals can sit in a warm bath for 15 minutes after a bowel movement .
CBD bath salts are also available for individuals who want to try a sitz bath.
How to Choose the Best CBD Oil for Hemorrhoids
Individuals looking for pain and inflammation relief may opt for full-spectrum CBD or broad-spectrum CBD .
Full-spectrum CBD oil contains all the cannabinoids in hemp plants, such as CBD , cannabigerol (CBG), cannabinol (CBN), and THC (0.3%).
Broad-spectrum CBD oil contains the same cannabinoids as full-spectrum, except for THC .
Some individuals may prefer not to take other cannabinoids . In that case, CBD isolate (pure CBD ) is available.
CBD Dosage for Hemorrhoids
There is no universally accepted dosage for CBD . First-time CBD users may start with a low dose and gradually increase it.
A study recommended to start with less than 1 milligram to 50 milligrams a day (31) .
However, studies have not yet determined the appropriate topical CBD dosing when reducing pain in affected areas .
How to Take CBD Oil for Hemorrhoids
Topical CBD products are ideal for treating hemorrhoids since the concentration does not have to go through the gastrointestinal system.
Individuals experiencing external hemorrhoids may apply CBD topical creams , CBD tinctures or CBD salves to the affected area .
Individuals who are experiencing internal hemorrhoids may also use CBD suppositories .
CBD vape may not be as effective as topical CBD . Vaping may also come with a few side effects , such as chest pains and chemical irritation (32) .
Is CBD Legal?
The legalization of CBD in the United States was signed into law in 2018 (33) . This law allows for the manufacturing, sale, and use of CBD and other hemp-derivatives, such as hemp oil and hempseed oil.
Cannabis products and certain cannabis strains are highly regulated. Medical marijuana or medical cannabis remains a part of the controlled substance list of the Drug Enforcement Agency.
Studies have acknowledged that CBD might help alleviate hemorrhoids symptoms, such as pain and inflammation (34) .
CBD might influence the ECS receptors and modulate the GI system. Therefore, CBD might help in maintaining healthy bowel motility (35) .
Individuals can also prevent hemorrhoids by maintaining a high- fiber diet to promote regular bowel movement .
If hemorrhoids do occur, one must consult with a physician and discuss treatment options before taking CBD .
- DiPatrizio N. V. (2016). Endocannabinoids in the Gut. Cannabis and cannabinoid research, 1(1), 67–77. https://doi.org/10.1089/can.2016.0001
- De Filippis, D., Esposito, G., Cirillo, C., Cipriano, M., De Winter, B. Y., Scuderi, C., Sarnelli, G., Cuomo, R., Steardo, L., De Man, J. G., & Iuvone, T. (2011). Cannabidiol reduces intestinal inflammation through the control of neuroimmune axis. PloS one, 6(12), e28159. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0028159
- Hasenoehrl, C., Taschler, U., Storr, M., & Schicho, R. (2016). The gastrointestinal tract – a central organ of cannabinoid signaling in health and disease. Neurogastroenterology and motility : the official journal of the European Gastrointestinal Motility Society , 28 (12), 1765–1780. https://doi.org/10.1111/nmo.12931
- Russo E. B. (2008). Cannabinoids in the management of difficult to treat pain. Therapeutics and clinical risk management, 4(1), 245–259. https://doi.org/10.2147/tcrm.s1928
- Lachlan McWilliams, Renee D. Goodwin, Brian J. Cox. (2004). Elsevier. Depression and anxiety associated with three pain conditions: results from a nationally representative sample. doi:10.1016/j.pain.2004.06.002
- Shannon, S., Lewis, N., Lee, H., & Hughes, S. (2019). Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series. The Permanente journal, 23, 18–041. https://doi.org/10.7812/TPP/18-041
- The Mayo Clinic. Hemorrhoids Overview. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ hemorrhoids /symptoms-causes/syc-20360268#:
:text= Hemorrhoids %20are%20swollen%20veins%20in,rectum%2C%20similar%20to%20varicose%20veins.
CBD Clinicals is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Hemorrhoids are inflamed blood vessels in the lower rectum and anus. Risk factors include constipation, diarrhea, and obesity.